Thursday, January 31, 2008

Justice: Where does this live in today's churches?

I attended a meeting last week regarding what our church might do to take a stand regarding Justice. We are encouraged to "Live justice, love kindness, and walk humbly with our God." When do we do Justice?

I do believe that the Sanctuary@Knox program is all about justice, but I also know that it won't restructure society, the city, or even the education system. I see it as my own, and whomever volunteers to support the project, justice action. When I think about the church "doing justice," I would like to think that it will have an impact. I would hope that it would transform, not only those who engage in the activity, but society itself.

I'm not naive enough to believe that it will all happen overnight. It will take enormous energy to find the type of action that most of the church community will agree to support. But I also want to spend my energy on something that is worthwhile and something where we have a chance of success.

I was very impressed that the Committee to End Homelessness presented their plan this week. I was very skeptical about the committee when it was formed. (I have an inherent mistrust of committees composed of business-people.) All-the-same, I think they have come a long way to find a plan that COULD be successful. I still think there are aspects of the plan that are missing and some of the issues are not addressed, however, they actually have a plan. I hope it has success.

What will we look at here.....?

No comments: