Monday, February 9, 2009

The continuing Journey

I will try to keep my postings shorter, more concise, and brief. It is not one of my strengths. I believe that I must look at all possible angles of a topic in order to be sure that I am not misunderstood.

The kids keep coming and I am now looking to expand my volunteer base. I originally planned to assign a mentor to each participant and thought that the mentors would come whenever the participant came. That would have been practical only if participants came once a week or infrequently. What is happening is that most participants come for a good part of the day every day. Who can ask that of a volunteer?

So now, with the advice and suggestion of one of the people on my advisory board (aren't advisory boards wonderful?), we are looking to ask people to come for half a day (or a full day) once a week. This feels more doable. I wonder if even this is too much to ask of people. What do you think?

In the meantime, I am finding that I have to close the centre whenever I have to be out of it for any reason. For example, we have team meetings every Tuesday afternoon from 2:00 PM to 3:30 PM. I tried just going over to my colleague's office for this meeting and leaving the kids here. However, they are all ADD. It is too much to ask of them to stay out of any trouble for that length of time. So I need to close for that time.

As I increase my volunteer corps, I will be able to stay open and leave for short periods of time and even for longer ones. So what does one think? Is half a day once a week too much to ask?

No comments: